I arrived on the 23rd of April, jetlagged and exhausted from the long-ass almost 24 hour flight from Toronto to Calcutta. Crossed oceans and continents and there I was. And here I am. And this is a bunch of stuff that I thought I should put down for posterity. So far I have
1. Visited the South Park Cemetary with Noor
2. Gone along with my uncle/cousin brother to a teeming slum where this tiny old lady beckoned to us, led us into her room/dwelling (for want of a better word), lifted up a ghoti from her puja shrine and sold my brother 100 Rs worth of ganja. Yep, so technically I TOTALLY scored. Of course I’ve never even come close to smoking pot. But it was pretty cool.
3. Visited Jora Sanko, Rob Tag (Rabindranath Tagore’s) house on Rabinda Jayanti- his birth anniversary.
4. Visited North Cal in the process
5. Chilled at Oly with a steak and Vodka meal. Chicken a la kieve too.
6. Bhaar er chaa at roadsides, frequently and with much relish
7. Watched The Avengers- T’s treat at Fame (solid, solid entertainment)
8. Dahi Vada from Vivekananda Park
9. Roamed around College Street and picked up 2 books- Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Milan Kundera’s Laughable Loves.
10. Had lunch at the Presidency tank- book in hand (Brave New World), maggi and curious glances for company
11. Started work at The School of Tropical Medicine
12. Devoured books- LOVED (yes in capital letters) Shashi Tharoor’s The Great Indian Novel, Brave New World (only gets better on the second reading), Murakami’s Underground, The Fault In Our Stars by John Greene (wept bucketloads), and started on The Butterfly Generation
13. Spent an evening with Stoner Jesus at the Tolly bar, spilling out intimate secrets which were answers to questions that had never been asked before
14. Evening spent reading at Starmark (South City) and Crossword (Elgin Road)- read Animal Farm and TGIN
15. Raichak on a day trip with the whole extended mama bari Choudhury clan
16. Wedding reception with the whole extended Ghosh Dastidar clan
17. Afternoon at Tolly with the brother- dosas for lunch and coffee swirls for desert= perfection 🙂
18. Metro rides. Oh so so very many metro rides. WHY?
19. Afternoon at JU meeting all the fraands